The International Noise Awareness Day is an event conceived and organized for the first time in 1995 by the “Center for Hearing and Communication” in the USA, to promote awareness of the dangers of long-term exposure to noise and to counteract the effects both on hearing and, more generally, on the health of citizens.
The event affects schools and institutions every year in many countries of the world and involves various National Acoustics Companies, benefiting from the support of the EAA and the Eurocities network.
The International Noise Awareness Day is an opportunity to introduce children and young people to problems related to excessive exposure to noise and to educate in listening to sounds and soundscapes, shared with schools all over the world.
On the occasion of the Noise Awareness Day, schools are invited to organize events and initiatives, involving students and citizens, for:
– measure and evaluate the noise in the different spaces inside and outside the school buildings;
– designing solutions for noise mitigation and for improving the acoustic climate;
– describe the sound landscapes of the school and of the external gardens;
– write or draw advertising campaigns on noise;
– know, define and observe a “quiet diet”;
– observe a minute of silence;
– create links between city schools and different countries to share educational experiences on the topic.
The INAD-ITALIA working group, of the Italian Acoustic Association (AIA), every year deals with the following activities:
– definition of the theme of the day in line with the international claim launched annually by the Center for Hearing and Communication;
– production of the advertising poster and publicity of the event;
– coordination of the activities of the Italian schools participating in the initiative;
– production and distribution of educational / informative material;
– issuing a competition with the theme of presenting ideas for raising awareness on the various issues related to noise;
– organize didactic moments and follow the school children involved in the production of the material for the competition and in the agreed didactic projects;
– organize the teaching day for the celebration of the event in April in the schools that took part in the initiative, thanks to the voluntary help of competent acoustical technicians;
– coordinate the activities with the other acoustic institutions and schools in the world that take care of and take part in the day.
The 24rd edition of “International Noise Awareness Day” will be held on April 24th 2019 in Italian schools.
The theme of the day will be “ALLA RICERCA DEI SUONI PERDUTI“, to raise awareness among children and young people on the issue of exposure to noise, the risks it entails and inform about possible solutions.
For further details visit the following link: http://www.acustica-aia.it/inad/2019